Monday, October 15, 2012

About me

Hello world!

I'm  writing this blog to document my experiences with living w/ brachymetatarsia and the surgery that I have received. I am answering the call of other bloggers who; 1.) wish for more people opting for the one-stage surgery write about their experience 2.)have bilateral brachymetatarsia and 3.) have both feet corrected at the same time using the one-stage proceduure. I first noticed my toes becoming shortened around the age of 7-8 years old when a cousin pointed it out to me. At this particular point the 4th and 5th toe were the same size. As I got older, the toe got shorter.

Growing up, I was very embarrassed of my feet. I would barely spend any time with my feet exposed.I would plan for anything and would bring extra socks " just in case". Being a young single female, I would make up all types of excuses to why I wouldn't let my "boyfriend'  rub my feet, or even take bathes or showers with me. Going to the Caribbean,  in which I love to do, could get tricky when you go to the beach. Shoes... the agony of picking sandles in the summer.......and why won't gladiators sandles go OUT of style!!!!!.....lol. Pedicures... I still would get not normally but I would get them....close to closing hours on an off day like a Tuesday and only at the seat closest to the wall.



I lived with this condition for over 30 years before knowing that it had a name. I just so happened to be watching the show THE DOCTORS and saw someone on the show with the same type of feet I had. Her pain and sadness was the same as mine and when I found out that they could correct this with surgical intervention, I was elated. Later on that same day, I went to the Internet. There was so much information, videos, and even blogs of people who were going through the surgery. Hell, there was even a facebook group!!!! I was so happy. You see, I thought I was the only one with this condition. The very next day I scheduled an appointment to see an Orthopedic Surgeon.

During the time that I had to wait around for my appointment, I read up on all types of medical journals on the subject and blogs. I understood that there were two different procedures used to correct Brachy: one-stage surgery and external fixation. I also read up on other peoples blogs. There are so many but two in particular are "Living with Brachymetatarsia and coping with surgery" by Nadia and "Brachymetatarsia: A Transformational Journey" by DNC.

No comments:

Post a Comment